We provide the same level of service as other Passport Acceptance Facilities for all U.S. Citizens at a convenient location.
You must apply in person if ANY of the following are true:
- You have never been issued a U.S. passport
- You were under age 16 when your previous passport was issued
- Your most recent U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
- Your most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen
- Your name has changed since your previous U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
How To Apply
STEP 1: Three Ways to Complete Form DS-11
Complete the DS-11 form at the Library
Notes: If printing, print single-sided and bring all pages including instructions with you to the appointment. If filling out by hand, please print legibly and use black ink. DO NOT use any whiteout on the form. DO NOT sign the DS-11 form until the Passport Agent instructs you to do so.
STEP 2: What you Need
Note: Copies of ID MUST contain the front and back of the ID on one page. The Library has copy machines (additional fees apply) and can assist you with making copies.
- Proof of Citizenship (one of the following along with one b/w or color copy)
- Original birth certificate or a certified copy (no hospital certificates or photocopies)
- Previous U.S. Passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity (if applicable, bring along one b/w or color copy of the secondary ID)
- Passport Photo
- A 2 x 2 inch color photograph taken in the last 6 months is required. The picture should be of the full face with a plain white or off-white background. Visit travel.state.gov’s “Passport Photos” page for full details.
- Port Jefferson Free Library offers a Passport Photo Service for an additional $10
- Fees- (two separate payments per application)
- Application fee- See the fees section for a listing of fees. Payable to the U.S. Department of State, payments can made by check or money order ONLY.
- If applicable, the Overnight Delivery Service to you, the customer ($17.13), can be included with the Application fee
- Acceptance fee- A separate payment of $35 per application is required for any passport facility. Payable to Port Jefferson Free Library, payments can made by check, money order, cash, credit or debit card.
- If applicable, the Passport Photo fee ($10 per photo) can be included with the Acceptance fee
- If applicable, the Overnight Delivery Service to the Department of State fee ($25.50) can be included with the Acceptance fee
Step 3: Schedule an Appointment
Service by Appointment ONLY
We are available by appointment to process applications (hours may vary during holiday closings):
Mondays……………2:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Tuedays……………5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Wednesdays……..10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Thursdays………..10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Fridays…………….10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Call us at 631-473-0022 and ask for Adult Reference | Prefer to email us? Fill out the form below
If Only ONE Parent can Attend
If two parents have custodial rights but only one parent is able to be present at the appointment, the DS-3053 form must be filled out and notarized (the Library does NOT offer notary services) and accompanied with the front AND back copy of the parent’s ID (who will not be present).
In a Hurry to Get your Passport?
If you need your passport quickly (ie: life or death emergency, traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks), you can expedite your application. Visit travel.state.gov’s “Get a Passport in a Hurry” page prior to calling the Library.
Can I Renew? (PDF) | How to Renew (PDF)
Renewals CANNOT be handled by the Library, however, if you require a photo, we can set an appointment to also review your DS-82 Renewal form (Form Filler) for accuracy. There is a $10 fee per passport photo but no fee for reviewing the DS-82 Renewal form. If you have a passport that was issued less than 15 years ago and you were at least 16 years old when it was issued, a self-service renewal is likely the correct option. Visit travel.state.gov’s “Passport Renewal” page to confirm that renewal by mail or online is appropriate.
Note: If your last passport was issued when you were under 16, you will need to fill out a new DS-11 form. The Library accepts appointments for this form.
The Library is able to take your photo as part of your Passport appointment for DS-11 applications or you may bring one with you from another vendor. The Library is also able to take your photo if you need a Passport sized photo (2 x 2 inch) for mailing your own renewal. This service is by appointment during our above service hours.
Passport Photo Fee: $10
U.S. Department of State Fees
Port Jeff Library Fees
Routine 6 – 8 Weeks
Expedited 2 – 3 Weeks
Visit travel.state.gov’s “Processing Times” page
More Questions? | Already Applied for a Passport?
Once your application has been completed by a Passport Acceptance Agent at the Library, all questions MUST be directed to the National Passport Information Center.
Call the National Passport Information Center to check your application status at 1-877-487-2778 or (TDD) 1-888-874-7793 between the following hours:
Monday – Friday……..8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Saturday……………….10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
*Excluding Federal Holidays
Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status. It may take up to 10 business days for applications to be trackable online.