Speak with a Reference Librarian for more information or check out our Events Calendar for dates of upcoming meetings. Links are provided on our Events Calendar for online meetings.
Groups & Clubs:
Please check our Newsletter for the most up-to-date meeting dates and book selections.
New Voices Book Club
This club meets once a month on a Thursday at 11:00 AM.
The Discussion Facilitator rotates among club members.
Tuesday Evening Book Club
This club meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM.
The Discussion Facilitator is Linda Ruben.
Fourth Fridays Book Club
This club meets on the Fourth Friday of the month at 11:30 AM.
This is a Library sponsored book club with meetings held at the Rose Caracappa Senior Center located at 739 Route 25A in Mt. Sinai. The Discussion Facilitator is Port Jeff Librarian Stacey.
Great Decisions Discussion Group
This group meets online every fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:00 PM. (except November & December)
The Great Decisions program is a monthly group discussion of topics reflecting current geopolitical issues facing America and other world nations. Members can participate in an Opinion
Poll following a discussion. The Discussion Facilitators are Margaret Foster and Dr. Lou Verardo.
Historical Happenings Book Club
This club meets once every two months on a Saturday at 10:00 AM.
For lovers of history, both fiction and nonfiction, this revived book club is for you! The Discussion Facilitator is Victoria Boecherer.
Want to Start a Book Discussion Group?
Check out our guide below on how to get your group off the ground!
I want to start a book discussion group. What do I need to do?
A good place to begin is our Book Discussion Collection, located on the Lower Level along the far right wall. This collection features many titles that have been popular in the past with our Library-sponsored Book Discussion Groups.
What do I need to check out books from the Book Discussion Collection?
All you need is a valid Suffolk County Library card to get going!
How many copies of a book may I check out?
You may check out all copies of a book on any one card or just one copy. Please note: borrowers are responsible for all items checked out on their card.
Looking for a title that you don’t see here?
Just ask an Adult Services Librarian to request one or multiple copies of a book from any library in Suffolk County.
Need more information?
Be sure to take a look at our “Book Group How-To Guide” for details on choosing a title, leading a discussion and more!
Book Discussion Collection
With lots of title to choose from and multiple copies of each title available, PJFL’s Book Discussion Collection is a great resource for your book discussion group! Here’s what you need to know:
- The Book Discussion Collection is shelved on the far right wall at the end of the Fiction Collection on the Lower Level
- Titles from this Collection are available to book groups that meet at member’s homes, businesses, churches, community centers, and retirement homes
- All Suffolk County library cardholders are welcome to check out books from this collection
- You may check out all of the copies of a book or just a single copy
- To request multiple copies of a title that the Library does not own, Port Jefferson Free Library cardholders are encouraged to speak with a Librarian
- Please note that if you check out multiple copies of a book for the use of your book club, remember that these items are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY and you agree to pay the replacement costs involved should any copies of the books become lost or damaged